Thursday, May 8, 2008

Hi Honey I'm Home

All I can see in my mind's eye is their feet moving just outside of the sheets and all I can hear are her soft sighs- those sighs she makes just as she starts to really let go. I have closed the door lightly- I'm not sure why- and I am standing against it listening to the muffled moans grow louder behind me through the door. They never even noticed my interruption. I'm not sure if I'm more shocked by the fact that there is someone in our bed with her or by who it is...or by the fact that I can't seem to bring myself from leaving this door- from hearing the act reach it's final crescendo. Billy, our Corgi, sits at my feet watching me with those sorrowful Basset Hound eyes I could never explain from his papers. Yeah buddy, go ahead and pity me, I think to myself. Billy begins to howl mournfully, inexplicably and I wonder if they will notice. They do. I hear a mumbled "what the hell is wrong with that dog?" I'm tempted to yell back "he's got some fucking loyalty to his master which is a helluva lot more than I can say for you you son of a bitch!" But I don't say it because my mother isn't a bitch. Instead I wrap my arm around Billy and- lifting him up- I turn to walk out the door. I slam it.

No comments: